Bantan silkies or bantam cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunnie7, Oct 25, 2016.

1. sunnie7

sunnie7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm looking to get our first chicks and locally I've found a friend that has several silkies and I have also found a local person that has bantam Cochin chicks that are 1-5 weeks and they have white and partridge silkies and then my friend has gray, black, marble gray/black And buff silkies. Which do you think would be good for us?!?! We live in more of a neighborhood setting and the coup we are getting is pretty small. We have 3 kids ages 5-7 so I was wanting at least 3 maybe 4 if you think we'd have enough room. (I want my own too!!) would one silkie do okay with 3 Cochins? We also have a 1 year old German Shepherd that's going to be lots of work getting him used to chickens and keeping him from hurting them! [​IMG]

2. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Hello! I have a German Shepard as well, he was easily trained by seeing us hold the chickens so he got the idea that the birds were ours and he should protect them not hunt them. We also used a training shock collar. He was allowed near the chickens but the moment he gave chase or lunged for him we shocked him, he still isn't allowed in the run and orchard with them without us nearby. My frizzle Cochin is super nice and friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by