Bantham & chicken coop (ability to enter, nest ect)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lunabee, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Lunabee

Lunabee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    West Coast
    I am going to build a coop and run for both banthams and chickens. I know banthams dont fly and are smaller. Can they manage to get up to nests and a roost if its about 3 but no more than 4 feet tall? I want to be able to stand in the roost and clean the roost and boxes (no bending over). I saw someones roost where they have a ramp up to the roost and then one over to the next boxes. Feeding and water under the roost. I really liked this set up.

I want the banthams to go where they please and not have to help them. Can someone please tell me what is the best way to make steps into the coop and up to the roost/nests? The angle or degree and how tall. Didnt want the nests on the ground want to prevent roosting in them. I want the flexibility to have both chickens and only want to build this once :)

Any other info on banthams and adapting a coop is welcomed. I will be getting a silkie and want a polish maybe in the future mixed with other docile and quiet hens. Am in the city and wish to keep more quiet and less flighty birds.
    Thank you

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Bantams actually can fly just as well if not better then LF chickens. Silkies are the only kind I know of that can't fly at all.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have bantam Plymouth Rocks and they can jump and fly just fine. They have an easier time jumping up to my patio railing than my standard orps and rocks and flutter higher and further too. They have no problem getting to the roost in the run either.

4. Lunabee

Feb 22, 2015
    West Coast
    Thank you for the help. Appears I will have lower nests and upper and hope they all share as well as roost.

5. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Although Silkies don't "fly" they can hop pretty well. My 2 have no problem getting up on the roost poles about 2.5' up. My other Bantams prefer to roost on a strut that is at the top of the coop and about 4' up.

Some Bantams are GOOD flyers. When I had Seramas I had to keep their wings clipped as they would FREQUENTLY clear the 4' fence and go "walk-about"!

6. Lunabee

Feb 22, 2015
    West Coast
    Thank you! I will make the nests 2 feet to start and then a set on top.. was looking at making 4 or 3. Still working on my plans. Trying to figure it all out and taylor it to keep both types as I might mix - and really wanted a silkie :)

Since you have silkies are there any other things I need to keep in mind to adapt a coop to house them and still be able to have larger and banthams? I know if they are much smaller a second feeder/water with a paver under it.

Thank you

7. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I just have an all Bantam small flock of 6: 2 Silkies, 2 Cochins, & 2 Lavendar Ameraucanas. I have a coop 3' off the ground with a ramp up to the door; the Silkies get in with no problem. And it's usually said that Silkies will just sleep on the floor of the coop-- well mine never have read that fact because like I said, they go up on the roost pole about 2.5' off the floor.

8. Lunabee

Feb 22, 2015
    West Coast
    Thank you for info. I wanted the roost higher so I can clean it easier and nest boxes lower. It's good silkies can hop up. Thank u. This forum has been the most educational and helpful for everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by