Bantie Roo?? Broody Hen... So many questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Organic_Mama, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Organic_Mama

Organic_Mama New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi!
    Our big Roo died a few weeks ago so all we have is out tiny little Bantam Roo. So my first question is, can he fertilize my big hens??

I have one who's gone broody and has collected quite a pile of eggs. I didn't pay any attention to when she started sitting, it's been at least a week, maybe 2.

I just tried candling the eggs, out of the 14 she had, 3 were obviously empty. The rest I wasn't certain. I do see white spots? Is that bacteria? Or just spots in the shell??

When I candle them, the ones I took out seemed to light up, the ones I put back under her, didn't light up like the others. But I don't see just one little dark spot like I've seen in pics. But maybe the chicks are bigger already??

Is there any way I can be more certain?

Can I get some eggs from a friend and swap them? Will she sit there long enough for brand new eggs to hatch?

Also, I'm wondering if I should move her? We have a small coop that I could put her in, but I'm not sure if that will upset her or not. She seems to be very easy going and doesn't try to bit me when I peek at the eggs.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks!!
    ~Shannon

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] How long ago did the large rooster die? Hens can easily retain sperm in their reproductive tract for as long as 3+ weeks after they are separated from a rooster. I'm guessing the white spots are just porous areas in the eggs. You might try a brighter light for candling the eggs. Since she may have been setting as long as 2 weeks, I would not recommend starting her on a clutch of new eggs. Brooding, especially in this hot weather, takes a lot out of a hen. Another 3 weeks might be too much. If she is in a secure area and is not bothered by the other chickens, I see no reason to move her. Yes it is possible for a bantam rooster to fertilize the eggs of a standard hen-- depends entirely on his technique. Good luck and best wishes for a successful hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by