1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantie rooster, breathing troubles and energy-less *update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady Dre, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Lady Dre

Lady Dre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    My little rooster, Little Big Feet, definately has a respiratory illness. Just not sure what he has. Was hoping someone could help me pin point what it may be. Trying to care for him myself because I just can't afford to take another one of my chickens to the vet. Please see info about him below. Thanks!

What type of bird , age and weight. - Mille Fleur d'Uccle Rooster, 2 years old and about 2 lbs.

What is the behavior, exactly. - Shallowing breathing with clicking sounds within throat, very tired, pale, not eating well and comb is shrinking and flopping over.

How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? He has been sick about a week

What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - He was out in a chilly rain and the hens in the coop have been kicking up a lot of dust inside the coop, which he definately could be breathing

What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - He won't eat his pellets and scratch but is eating grapes and cooked egg

How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? - Poop is mostly runny with very little solids in it.

What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Currently giving him poulrty penicillin but I have Tylan 50 on order hoping to have it by Monday.

Describe the housing/bedding in use - He is currently in my house in my quarantine pen for sick chickens. No bedding being used.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You seem to be doing everything right, especially with Tylan on order. Is there any eye or nose discharge?

You can give him some vitamin supplements, yogurt, and a little apple cider vinegar in his water,

Best of luck and keep us posted.

3. Lady Dre

Oct 16, 2008
    No, he has clear eyes and no nasal discharge. I will definately keep you posted!

4. Lady Dre

Oct 16, 2008
    My Little Big feet didn't make it. He passed over the night and I am quite sad. Never found out exactly what was wrong with him and my Tylan 50 didn't make it to me in the mail. Why is it your most favorite birds are the ones that usually get sick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by