Banties Hatched from Eggs - No Idea of Breed or Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ashsmith, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ashsmith

ashsmith Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    I have 4 month-old banties that were hatched from eggs (puchased from Ideal Poultry) at my school. Any feedback would be appreciated since I am new to chickens and have no idea about which breed or gender they are.

Chick # 1: It was a cute little yellow fluffball as a day-old hatchling. Now it is a month old, off-white chick. It does not appear to have much comb development. Breed? Gender?

[​IMG]

Chick # 2: It was a mainly black hatchling with some white on its underside. It has shiny, black feathers now that seem to have a greenish, purplish sheen in the light. Slight comb development.
    Breed? Gender?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick # 3: It was a light ginger hatchling. Now has darker red feathers. Very shiny. Slight comb development. Breed? Gender?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick # 4: This one looked like a little chipmunk when it hatched. I'm pretty sure it is a rooster because its comb is MUCH more developed than the other month-old banties. Its comb is also starting to acquire a reddish hue. Breed? Gender?

[​IMG]

Again, I would greatly appreciate any ideas any of your may have as to the breed and gender of these chicks. I have never kept chickens before and, despite reading numerous chicken books in the past couple weeks, cannot figure out their breeds and genders. (I think chick 2 might be a black australorp, and I think chick 4 is a roo, but I'm not sure.) They were 1 month old on May 6.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give :)

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Here are my guesses:

#1 Easter Egger Girl
    #2 Black australorp ?
    #3 Rhode Island Red or maybe a New Hampshire Red ?
    #4 ? Roo

3. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    1. Easter Egger, hen
    2. Australorp, Roo
    3. Rhode Island Red, possible Roo
    4. Some sort of rooster, not sure which

4. ashsmith

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks for the speedy feedback! I really hope #1 is an Easter Egger hen. I'd love to get some pretty eggs from her later :)

Also, when I re-read my post, I realized that it was rather misleading. I meant to say that I have 4 chicks that are each 1-month old. When reading it, one could get the impression that I was indicating that they were 4 mos. old (which I did not mean to say).

Thanks again for the fast responses.

5. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    Hi! I was looking at your post because I have some Banties that I am curious about the breed of also. Just wondering, are those cedar chips in with the chicks? Not trying to sound like a know it all, but I have read that cedar chips can cause respitory problems in chickens. If they are cedar, you may want to switch to pine shavings. Just trying to help out a little! Good luck with your chicks! They sure are cute!

6. MelodyHightower

MelodyHightower Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    East Texas
    #4 is a brown leghorn roo. He looks just like mine [​IMG]

7. ashsmith

Jun 8, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the feedback about my chicks :)

I have a mix of about 95% pine shavings and 5% (IF that much) cedar in my coop. I have read that cedar shavings can be harmful, but I am using them in such small quantity and in a very well-ventilated coop that I am not worried about it. Besides, Barbara Kilarski, the author of Keep Chickens, uses cedar in her coop. Where I live (Gulf Coast), it gets very hot and humid, and flies are BAD in the summer. Even with a complete bedding change weekly, I find that a couple handfuls of cedar chips seems to help keep flies down. Also, I've read that a little cedar can keep pests (such as ticks and lice) out of the coop.

It's a risk I'm willing to assume.

8. ashsmith

Jun 8, 2010
    Quote:Eventually, I'm going to have to get rid of any roos. Do you want another one? If you're anywhere near Beaumont or Orange, I could probably get him to you. (I visit SW LA frequently.)

Otherwise, I'm going to have to post a "free to a good home" ad on craigslist for the roos :) (One option I considered was getting them caponized, but that's probably too expensive to be practical. I also considered turning them into dinner, but I just can't bring myself to eat a pet.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by