Banties? Worth Butchering?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mangled, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend has a nasty banty roo she wishes to give to me, LOL. She can no longer have him around and she is "incapable" of butchering him.

My husband, however has no problems with processing a troublesome roo.

Are banties even worth processing? I've never had one, so I honestly have no idea.

Thanks in advance-
    Em

2. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I think anything is worth butchering if there is nothing else to do with it? Can u give them away? If not dumplings

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I just had one and he turned out just fine. I did him with a few other mixed-breed roos and after his feathers were off he didn't seem much smaller than the others. I don't roast my birds whole, I quarter them and simmer them slowly with fresh herbs on the stovetop over low heat for a few hours until the meat falls off the bones. Then I remove the bones & separate the meat, dark & light. I freeze the meat for use later in soups, stews & chilis and it's deeeeeeelicious!

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The main difference with processing the banty is that my hand just barely fit in the cavity. If you have big hands you might have to split the carcass to clean it.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks.

My husband has good sized hands, so splitting it down the middle is a good tip.

[​IMG]
    Em

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    If nothing else you could make a soup out of him.

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

People eat quail and doves so I don't see why a banty would not be worth butchering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by