Banties?

hellafarms

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
North Central, Arkansas
I have always had chickens but never owned any banties yes I know this sounds crazy to own chickens and never to own a banty,but I went to a auction this last weekend and seen some golden seabrights and feel in love with banties I guess what got me was the crow they have the coolest crow I have ever heard (kinda scrachy).So my question is to some of you banty lovers what is a good breed of banty? I love the seabrights, but I also want a breed that is broody any input would be appreciated.

Just went to an Auction and got a Golden Seabrite myself, she is a bit more skittish then my others, can fly like the dickens! she does not back down and she is quite noticeably my smallest. She holds her self very proud and she is a beauty. Congrats! and do you have pics?
PS I have had mine for 6 weeks

Golden Sebrights (or any Sebright for that matter) are a great breed to have. They can be a little cocky, but if handled every so often they can be a nice bird
smile.png
I have 3 hens and 1 rooster (pet quality - see avatar), and all are sweet and a little skittish. They are great flyers though. I had one of my hens fly up into one of our pine trees the other day about 6-7 feet high.

Quote:
Well I didnt buy them they were already sold when I seen them so I waited until the whole sale was over and never seen anymore but I will go back to the next sale and be on the lookout oh yeah by the way they sold for $16.00 each about double what other birds brought.

We were bidding on a pin of 3 hens (though one was deff a roo) and I had enough to pay 7 a piece and they went for 8 a piece. So yes I lost them, and then my 4 year old started sobbing like a little girl (hes a big boy) and the guys sold him one of his choosing. So this is how we came to get our one and only seabrite, her name is Teardrop.....need I say more! LOL

guess I should have explained, this was our first auction, we had been their all day waiting of this pin of 3 (thats it) and Caleb had already started naming them, so when He walked up to the cage and I told him that another man bought them we will come back next month, well his sprinklers exploded, it actually made an on looker cry, I felt so bad that he started crying ( I couldnt get him to stop) he hugged the man, asked me for "his" money and bought his bird! I think next time we will leave him with grandma as it was a little embarrassing.

For broodies, you can't beat a silkie cross. Silkies are great, too. As far as a goood breed of bantam, well it depends on what appeals to you--different people have different tastes, and the perfect breed for one person is a poor fit for another. Give a list of ALL the traits that appeal, and also all the ones that are a bit of a turn off. Then we can match you up with what is best for you.

I think if you want sweet and cuddly and calm, d'uccles are it! From my limited experience, they are calm snuggly chicks, and don't mind being petted and carried as adults either! Of course, I do pet them every day. Their feet feathers do get dirty, though. My bantam cochins started snuggly, but now that they are older aren't as snuggly, and my japanese used to like to perch on me, but he doesn't like being petted anymore. I had a sebright that was gorgeous, but not into being a 'pet' so I sold her. I don't keep the chickens that don't like being petted. I did have a pair of english game bantams who were very sweet and the pullet loved being held- had to rehome them d/t them being allergic to pine shavings in my coop. The rooster didn't mind being petted, but would rather run around and pick fights with my other chickens. (Napoleon syndrome- I swear). But my d'uccle roosters don't fight each other, and don't get 'macho'. I do have a japanese cochin cross chick I hatched who is a boy, and turning out to be calm, sweet, and cuddly. But time spent also makes a difference in whatever bantam you have if you get them young. I did own 2 male silkie's, one didn't mind being petted and picked up, and the other was NOT enjoying it when I'd pick him up and pet him. I did buy a bantam barred rock, but she was from a sick flock, and I had to take her to the state for testing an euthanasia. Broke my heart because she was very sweet,curious, and barely knew me.

I personally like cochins. They are sweet. Funny personallities and known brooders. Some people have a couple just for that reason. I have 19 and a silkie/cochin cross and they are wonderful. Life would be dull without them!

Back
Top Bottom