Bantom Sized Egg Normal Sized Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerGirl27, Oct 4, 2013.

1. FarmerGirl27

FarmerGirl27 New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    I am relatively new to chickens. And I am not certain that all of my chickens are even laying yet. I know they aren't laying an egg a day. Out of my 26 hens I am getting like 9 to 18 eggs a day. I did just move some of my birds around so I think that is part of it but still. and today I went to the coop and one of my chickens laid an that was tinny. I mean ridiculously tiny. Is this normal for new to laying hens?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The eggs gradually get larger as they lay longer, so smallish ones at the start are normal. They will also lay odd eggs occasionally like really big double eggs, shell less eggs, and what people call wind or fart eggs. The wind eggs usually do not have a regular yolk in them, and they tend to be really tiny, so that is what your girl may have laid. Have you cracked it open to see what is inside?

3. FarmerGirl27

FarmerGirl27 New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Thanks. It was a really weird looking egg but it was just an egg. It had a yolk and everything.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by