1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantum Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by weimlikeschicks, Mar 25, 2012.

1. weimlikeschicks

weimlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Hey all,

I have a couple Cochin bantams and one has some serious issues with pasty butt. I have cleaned her four times and each time she is blocked up again after only a little while. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if this one doesn't make it, but I'd like to know if I am doing anything wrong.

I fill a small Tupperware 1/2 with warm water and basically try and get her butt in there good, using my finger to kind of work the area and loosen the dried poo. I used cotton swab the first couple times, but this last time I used a tooth pick and really worked it out; I was as gentle as possible but at this point I think she is going to die if this isn't figured out.

Her vent looks swollen I guess, but these bantams are so little it's hard to work with them and really even see what the heck is going on. She had a poo that worked it way half out when I grabbed her to bathe her this time, and then she pooped again ten minutes or so after she went back in the brooder. This one was orange and runny but not watery.

I forgot to mention; she seems to eat and drink regularly, almost with extra enthusiasm. She does sleep quite a bit though as well.

They have all had access to grit (gravel and sand), chick feed, an egg yoke (three days ago), and chopped up spinach and dandelion (flower, stem, greens).

I don't have an issue with culling her if that's what has to happen, but these little bantams were bought as a kind of ornamental addition to the big girl flock and so the same rules of production value don't really apply. On the other hand if she's just going to suffer for a few more days and then die...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Try a day or two of Apple Cider vinegar in her water.

3. Brynansmommie

Brynansmommie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    We had one do this last week. Be fair warned that I am new to this and no next to nothing. That being said. Our chicky kept pasting up too. I just kept cleaning her. Her vent was red and inflamed and the other chicks were pecking at her. We seperated her from the rest and started putting vasaline on her vent. (we dedicated a chicken butt chapstick which worked great. Within 8 hours she cleared up. I hope your chick gets better soon.

4. weimlikeschicks

weimlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Thank you for the replies, I haven't able to get back here to check them until now and I wish I had earlier. She is still with us but just barely, I actually had thought about the vasiline thing and was going to give it a shot, I'm glad it has worked for someone else and I have new hope. Its just a bummer when out of all the birds it's one of the one's who's around just for the sake of being around.

Ok, I just got her out and cleaned her up, she is very weak. I don't have vasiline so used neosporin.... I hope that is ok. She seems better and took a nice poop just now that looked like it came right out. So here's to being hopeful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by