Bantum with runny poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whatchickens?, Aug 20, 2009.

1. whatchickens?

whatchickens? In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    My bantum hen has runny poop. She has had this for about 3 weeks now and I'm not sure wat to do. She has stopped laying eggs but other then that she acts normal. Today, she looks like she might be beginning to molt and has small bald spot on chest. She comes out of he coop each day with the other hens, free ranges and has normal appitite. Not sure what is causing the diarea, should I give something to her?

2. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    whatchickens? :

My bantum hen has runny poop. She has had this for about 3 weeks now and I'm not sure wat to do. She has stopped laying eggs but other then that she acts normal. Today, she looks like she might be beginning to molt and has small bald spot on chest. She comes out of he coop each day with the other hens, free ranges and has normal appitite. Not sure what is causing the diarea, should I give something to her?

Could you please answer the questions in this thread here into your thread?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

On "weight" they mean fat, thin, and approximate weight (1 pounds, 10 pounds, 5 pounds, something inbetween).

Also, if you haven't, please start giving free choice oyster shell to her and all of your hens as well as making 90% or more of their diet laying pellets or laying crumbles.

I would check her carefully for mites/lice and let us know if you find any. Check every inch of her, and check her at least twice at night off of the roost as that's when mites get on the bird. They're tricky to find. Use a flashlight (day OR night) for extra light when looking around their vents, under their wings, and against their skin.

On the diarrhea, please start by giving her a poultry vitamin/electrolyte package in her water (all birds can have that) to replace what she's losing as the nutrients/water pass through her too fast. Also give her (and the others can have this, too) yogurt or a probiotic every day for a week to help replace and reestablish the good bacteria of her gut. Three weeks is too long to miss nutrients.

Do you see any new incoming feathers anywhere, "pinfeathers"?​

3. whatchickens?

whatchickens? In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi.... thank you for your information. I'll check on the mites / lice. I stopped giving them the electrolyte in the spring, I guess I should give them that all the time. They only free range one hour or so during the week and just full days on the weekends. They always have clean, cool water and crumbled feed and oyster shells and get fruit treats like watermelon and garden greens. I'll try some yogurt and see how that helps. I'll check on the feathers too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: