1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Is the standard space requirements different in any major way?
    also does any one keep all bantums? how many would I need to equal 24-29 regular eggs a week?

2. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    depends on the breed, most are so much smaller than standard chickens you can keep about twice as many in the same space. I have several bantam only coop/runs. I housed a group of 8 d'uccles quite happily in a 4X4 coop, and up to a quad of cochins in a 2X4 revamped doghouse.

as far as eggs, they are about half the size of a XL size standard egg, so you would need twice as many bantam hens as standard. also can depend on the breed, the smallest bantam eggs i have got were from seabrights, d'uccles and japanese, whereas my cochins and polish lay larger eggs (polish by far the largest eggs, probably would be Medium size, vs the XS/S of the other breeds listed).

as for how many bantam hens you need to equal 24-29 regular eggs a week, it also depends on breed/age. 6 months-2 years i have had excellent laying from my bantams, i dont have any older than 2 but they do start to slow down as they age, same as standard chickens. some breeds are more prone to going broody (cochins for eg) and dont tend to lay as well in the winter. my best bantam layers have been my d'uccles and polish, almost an egg a day.

I would say breed depending, a group of 10 bantam hens could lay 45-50 eggs a week "equaling" ~25 regular eggs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I only have bantams. I switched years ago, I just prefer them. They can take the heat better in the summers, they just need a little more thought in the winter. My coops are insulated and I run a 100 watt bulb for them. As far as the eggs go, I weighed them once and they fall between medium and the higher end of medium but I have cochins, silkies, and faverolles. The faverolles haven't started laying yet. My egg buying customers don't mind their size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by