banty body, full sized momma instinct

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by granmahen, Nov 10, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Finally let my youngest pullets, 11 wk. old ees, out to free range with the full sized hens(they live in separate pen) and the banty hen the ees live with. The banty guards her "babies" like a hawk and usually when a big hen comes near, she stands firm while they head for their coop. Yesterday, they didn't notice the delaware come up on them and swooped in on them. As they ran screaming in alarm, here comes momma. She gooses the delaware, which sends her 4 feet into the air, squawking her humiliation. Meanwhile, the banty keeps going straight under her to her "babies" crying "mama's comin', mama's comin'". What a sight. Never a video camera when you need one. [​IMG]

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    funneee!

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam Sebrights like the "grab the feathers on the back of the neck" technique. The little hens have to jump up off the ground to grab on and then are swung around like hair braids on a little girl. You are right about the camera thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by