Banty Chick with Perosis doing well!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My little Banty chick, Quincy, I rescued from the feed store a week ago today is thriving! We thought it was spraddle leg but it was Perosis and it was touch and go for many days. She is 12 days old and her little legs are still taped but she is able to stand on them and get around quite well. She is eating and drinking on her own and basically being a normal, spoiled just a little, special needs chick [​IMG] She loves to show off how well she can stand.

I thought I would show her off and see if anyone can tell me what type of Banty she might be? I have been looking at so many pictures and I'm thinking maybe a Barred Rock but I don't know. At the feed store they said it was an assortment and since they didn't really like Banty's, they had no idea and were not much help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    What is spraddle leg and Perosis My first batch of chicks are coming soon.

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I am new to chicks too but from what I've read on here and other sites, spraddle leg can be caused by many things including crushing during shipment and perosis is caused by a deficiency in the egg. There are many threads on here for both and well worth the read! They go into a lot of detail on the causes, what to look for, how to fix it, ect.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by