Banty chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hughie, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hughie

Hughie Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    One Banty chicks found dead this morning. Excreta stuck too it's bum any idea what course this .

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, I see that you have posted here on the New members Introductions forum before. Your post would have been better placed on the "Raising baby chicks" forum. I only mention this as posting in the most appropriate gives you the best chance of expert help.

In this case it seems like it was a case of pasty butt. Here's a link to a search on the topic - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=pasty+butt

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] (Sorry it's not under better circumstances)

It sounds like your chick had pasty butt...that's pretty common with young chicks. Poop build up blocking their vent. If it's not cleaned off, the chick will die. Check your other chicks to be sure they aren't pasty too, if they are clean them off gently with warm water then dab a bit of Vaseline on the vent to prevent further pastiness.

There are a lot of posts about pasty butt, just put that term in the Search box and read up on it.

Sorry for your loss.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greeting from Kansas, Hughie, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock but sorry it is under these circumstances. [​IMG] Does it look like the excrement was blocking the chick's vent? If so it may be a condition called pasty butt where the vent is blocked and the inability of the chick to excrete waste kills it. Sorry for you loss. Here's a link to some threads that discuss this condition. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=pasty+butt
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @CTKen and @redsoxs too funny, we all 3 posted at the same time.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am sorry for your loss.

You can soak off the others butts in warm water. Never pull it off as you can hurt the babies. Adding some probiotics to the water or apple cider vinegar will help with this. Use a plastic waterer only, and open on capsule of human grade probiotics to a quart waterer and fill with water. OR, 3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the same quart waterer, fill with water. Either of these need to be changed every day and made new.

Make sure they are not too warm or too cold or drafty. Keep the heat lamp off to one side of the brooder, food and water on the other side. Chicks need places to cool off in the brooder as their internal thermostats don't yet work. Do not cover the brooder with anything. Chicks should be started at 90 degrees as day olds, lowered by 5 degrees each week.

Good luck with your babies!

7. Hughie

Hughie Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Thank you all for the info on PASTY BUT. problem only had two chicks with mother hen one died other one seems ok have started acv.to hopefully prevent the other chick getting a pasty but.thanks again for replays

8. Hughie

Hughie Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    thank you all for replyes was a good help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by