Banty ee??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheps4her, Apr 12, 2009.

1. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    A little while ago I posted to see what everyone thought this little girl was....

[​IMG]
    Well She laid her first egg today!!! And it was light green!!! Could it be she is a bantam ee?? She doesn't have the green legs though [​IMG] .....I can't wait to see if it was a fluke or if she will continue to lay green eggs! [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chickens do not change the colour of hte egg they lay. The intensity of the pigment lightens as she goes through a cycle of laying, so that light green egg will gradually fade to being barely tinted by the time she molts or goes into a broody cycle, but once she starts laying again it will be in full colour. Since she just started laying, she's right at the beginning of hte cycle--her eggs should have plenty pf colour.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Oh, and there is no standard for EEs; some have willow legs, but many do not, and there are also quite a few recognised breeds and varietes with willow legs.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep she's an EE [​IMG] pretty girl

5. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Cool! [​IMG] I had a lot of fun showing off her green egg at Easter dinner! Everyone thought I had dyed it and I was pulling their legs! It was so much fun!

Ummmm [​IMG] ahem.. is it physically possible for a standard ee to breed with a banty ee? If the standard is the rooster? would love to hatch some but I am not sure if it is... umm.. you know physically possible.....[​IMG]

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Yep, physically possible, tho not comfy for the little hen...

7. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Well, I will probably keep her seperate from him then. I don't want her hurt, she is such a sweety! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by