Banty egg bound (so sad just lost her)

JD

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Tennessee
I have a banty my husband just discovered her laying on her side in the pen. He brought her in to me and she looks to be egg bound. I put her in sink w/very warm water and did the finger thing and she expelled a yellow/greenish liquid. I did not feel the egg through that way. So I been massaging and think I feel and egg in the lower abdominal wall and been trying for the last 15 min to massage it toward her vent. How long do I need to do this? Her vent is not prolapsed and no blood.

She passed away in my hands, I did open her after and discovered that she was not egg bound. Don't really know what was wrong. She looked so healthy other than being lethargic and breathing hard and her bottom end looked swollen. Maybe the peritonitis because of the fluid being the color it was?

Last edited:
all I can say is don't feel alone.. Going through the exact same thing with a silky hen I found on her side this morning

Gosh I'm so sorry you lost her. I've got my silkie in the house next to the pellet stove to keep warm. she seems to be eating but not drinking so I'm feeding her fluids with a syringe and tube... Not sure what is going on with her but she is still laying on her side

hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss.

can anyone help me...I have a dozen chickens. They have been pecking one another all winter but now I've notice that a couple of my hens have with watery discharge coming from their vent and it starts to dry on the bottoms it's kinda whitish. I haven't noticed to much else. It's kinda smelly and I'm just concerned. I just don't know what is happening. They are still laying. The discharge from theirs vents looks yukky. Does anyone know what is happening?

Thank you all for caring. It just seem so odd not knowing what was wrong. Her abdominal underneath her vent was all swollen but no prolapse and the yukky yellowish and light greenish discharge. Sorry for your hen babylouie but the white is urates and I don't know anything about that. Maybe someone will come along and advise you. You might want to start a new post on this and it will be easier for someone to see your question and answer appropriately.

Last edited:
It could have been something like internal laying or lymphoid leukosis. In that case there is nothing you could have done.

Babylouie--please open another thread with the problems you are having, so they can get proper attention. Read the "sticky" on the top of the emergencies forum ("Please read before posting? sticky) and answer the questions so we have enough information to help you.

I just wanted to say I understand what you're feeling right now. I had a hen die in my arms yesterday morning and I'm so torn up about it. It's so hard to lose a pet you love
sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss... I just lost three of my favorites chickens (young ones--two pullets and a cockerel) earlier this week completely unexpectedly, so I know the grief you're feeling right now all too well. I sobbed for hours and hours and feel lousy every time I think about it. It's so hard losing a feathered friend... You did the best you could for her, try not to feel bad. It doesn't sound like there was anything else you could have done to save her.
hugs.gif
Good thoughts and wishes going out to you.

Back
Top Bottom