Banty Egg Humidity!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, Dec 27, 2008.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone I have a question. should banty eggs have different percent of humidity or are they like every other kind of egg? And also, can you clear up what the humidity should be because I am reading all these topics about the correct humidity and its getting really confusing. For days 1 through 18 and for days 19 through 21.

Thanks bunches!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Everyone has a different way. I have hum between 30 and 40 then after day 18 60%. BANTAMS SHOULD BE THE SAME AS ANY CHICKEN EGG.

To much hum and they will drown not enough they will stick. You have to find what works for you. You need to calibrate hygrometer and temp gauge to make sure they are accurte to begin with or you will be messed up no matter how you do ti.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Because we are in Florida, we use the dry incubation method and we only raise bantams. It's the same for all size eggs. [​IMG]

4. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:hey could you clear up what the humidity percentages are on the dry humidity thing? because I tried reading the sticky at the top of this forum that talked about it but I dont want to have to read the whole thing over again. Thanks.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:hey could you clear up what the humidity percentages are on the dry humidity thing? because I tried reading the sticky at the top of this forum that talked about it but I dont want to have to read the whole thing over again. Thanks.

The humidity that chicken women wrote is more or less dry. Regular would be about 45-55% days 1-18, and 65% days 18-21

6. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS

The humidity that chicken women wrote is more or less dry. Regular would be about 45-55% days 1-18, and 65% days 18-21

shelleyd2008, is that good? because I dont want to have them drown in the egg.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It really depends on your setup and your opinion. You just have to incubate eggs a few times and see what works best. For me 45% with not going below 40 or above 50% has worked best incubating chicken eggs and about 3-5% higher for button quail eggs. Then 60-65% for hatching. Others will incubate as low as 25%. Personally below 40% I found the air sacs too large and starting to creep across the side of the egg to the point the chicks couldn't position to hatch. Above 50% I lost more of the chicks shortly before hatching time.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I had really good luck hatching this summer/fall at 35-40% humidity, but since the weather has turned cooler, that just has not worked for me. I also do buttons at a steady 50% humidity. But like Akane said, it is really just a preference. If your hygrometer is working properly, 45-55% humidity should be all right, but any higher than that for incubation would probably end up with 'soggy' chicks. I would say probably 45% would be best, but that is just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by