Banty hatched duck eggs....now what?

zebralady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
Vancouver, Washington
My 1 year old seabright bantam hatched out 2 fertile duck eggs. She is quite content sitting on the duckings and even calls them back to her if they get out from under her. She is the top ranking hen of our flock of 10 but, she is still in general population. I am concerned about her bringing the ducklings out of the nest box to eat and drink. Now, they just hatched out this morning and I am aware that they have 24 hours before they will need to eat or drink but, will she know what to do and when? (she has never hatched anything out before) Do I need to worry about the rest of the flock attacking or having "issues" with the ducklings? The nest boxes are on the floor and they are upcycled recycling bins so once out I am not sure the ducklings will be able to get back in....Is this a problem? I am really confused about all of this. I have raised ducks and chicks in a brooder before but, I have never had a hen do all the work...

Thanks so much for any advice you can give you guys are really wonderful!!

Update: I have chosen to leave the ducklings with the hen who hatched them and they are doing wonderful!! Eating, Drinking and causing their chicken mommy massive panic when I put a dish of water in and they jump in!!! I have never seen a chicken freak out quite like that! She is really confused as are all the rest of the flock. All in all it is wonderful to see her getting to be a mommy though and the ducklings are thriving!

How exciting! I'd love to see a picture of this little family :) There are many incidents in nature when a Mommy takes care of babies that aren't hers. I think they will all do just fine!

Back
Top Bottom