Banty hen acting sluggish. Egg binding? worms?

eggboy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
CA
My favorite banty hen, the one on my avitar has been acting very strange today. This morning when I fed my hens my little banty hardly seemed to care and practically ignored the food. Normally she greedily gobbles up all she can find. Throughout the day she stayed in _the shade or by the water while the other hens went about as usual. It was a very hot day today. The thermometer in the chicken coop said 93 farenheit in the middle of the day. The hottest it has been around here the past week, except for yesterday was probably in the seventies. So the fact that she seemed hot did not concern me, it was the fact that she seemed very hot while the rest of the chickens seemed only somewhat hot. For instance my banty always hangs out with the other girls. Not today though. Today she just stayed by yerself in the shade. To top everything else off when I went out to lack up my chickens for the night I found my banty sitting in the pen right in front of the doorway to the coop. I picked her up and put her on the roosting bar with her sisters. So my question is what is causing this? Is there anything I can do about it? Does she have worms? I found a stray kitten last summer who showed somewhat similar symptoms. The kitten ended up dying a day or two later because she had worms and I did not realize it untill a couple hours before she died. I don't want that to happen again. Could it be that she is egg bound? Her comb is not nearly as large or red as the others and she has not been laying for quite a while so might she be egg bound? Or is it just the heat? Maybe she isn't getting cooled as fast as the others because her comb isn't circulating blood to cool her off as fast as the othrs? Please help! I don't know if I should be doing anything. Should I give her dewormer? Some other medecine? Any help would be greatly appriceated.

Back
Top Bottom