banty hen doesn't lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yeahLauren, Jul 14, 2008.

1. yeahLauren

yeahLauren Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    My banty hen, Stella, who is 2 years old, has only laid 3 eggs in her life time. She is a house pet, but gets proper day/light cycles. Do you think she doesn't lay cause she's kept inside? Let me know. Here she is:

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What does she eat? Laying feed?

3. yeahLauren

Jul 14, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    She eats layer mash mixed with scratch grains daily, plus treats I give her like fruits, veggies, worms, etc.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Are you sure she doesn't have a hidden nest somewhere? You would be surprised at how small of a space a little hen can get into.

Is there a dog in the house? Most dogs love raw eggs and leave no evidence of their thefts.

Matt

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Take away the scratch for the most part. It is like candy for chickens. She only needs a tiny treat of scratch. Stop feeding her fruit. There are several suugestions fruits in the diet can cause hens to not lay. One of the big hatcheries has it listed on the website as well.

6. yeahLauren

Jul 14, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    She is in a cage, so I don't think she has a hidden nest.

I don't feed her fruit very often. Sometimes I give her those treat sticks for birds and they have some dried fruit in them. She gets fruit maybe once a month. Plus, I just started her on the scratch grains because I read somewhere it's good for them. It's mixed in about 75% layer mash, 25% scratch grains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by