Banty Hen Falling Over Won't Eat or Drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shelly2733, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Shelly2733

Shelly2733 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Please help! I have an almost one year old Cochin Bantum who suddenly this morning was trying to walk but, kept on falling over. It seemed to be her one side.

So, I brought her in the house and put her in a pen in my kitchen. Since she seemed to have a problem with her left leg, I straightened it (which did seem to bother her a bit) and splinted it. She seems more content now but, I can't get her to eat or drink. I gave her a little sugar water with a dropper but she won't open her mouth.

Can someone please give me some advice and let me know if you think I'm doing the right thing or does this sound like some kind of chicken disease? My other hens are fine and her sister is fine too. Any help would be much appreciated!

She is just lying there but, is looking around a lot but, is extremely docile. I checked out her rump and I don't see anything hanging out or anything. Can't find any blood and I'm not certain that her leg is broken.

Thanks!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Inspect her body for mites lice from head to toe. She sounds dehydrated. You did good with the sugar water + Vita Sol water and hand feed proteins like hard boiled eggs scrambled eggs. You may have to just charge her batteries and get her back up. If she doesn't get better take a stool sample to have it analyzed and follow the vets instructions.

3. Shelly2733

Shelly2733 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    I don't think she's dehydrated. Other solutions, please? Thanks!

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Keep up with the sugar water...if you have poly vi sol or vitamins with electrolytes/vitamins, that would be even better. You can make a mash out of her food, water and yogurt and feed her that. If you have a small spoon, that is what I use. Try to good some food into her and see if that helps. The poly vi sol will take care of any vitamin B deficiencies that she might have. Add 400 ius of Vitamin E twice a day. I hope that she will recover for you :) Keep us informed!

5. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Hi- I am no expert but have you checked her feet for Bumblefoot?
    Failing that she could have just sprine it when jumping off a perch- you could rub arnica cream into her legs- this would sooth any pain and help in case of any possible bruising.
    Mareks disease can cause paralyis - its a disease of the nervous system- Not that common thankfully so I wouldn't worry about that or other possibilities just yet.
    I would personally keep her warm, continue with sugar water as this will keep her energy levels up and in the morning try again to temp her to eat- Have you tried maggots? Not that many chooks would turn their nose at those!
    Good Luck and I hope she is better soon

6. Shelly2733

Shelly2733 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Thanks! I've been reading about botulism but, I don't think that's it. She is holding her head up just fine and looking all around. I am going to go get some vitamins here shortly. I gave her some molasses water with a dropper and she really liked that! She seems much more alert than she was this morning. I took the splint off and she seems to like life better without so, we'll see. I am thoroughly disinfecting the chickens water container just in case and will be cleaning up their coop tomorrow. I'm going to put down hay and wood chips to keep it a little dryer in the run. It keeps getting muddy over and over again.

I will keep everyone posted - any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks

7. Shelly2733

Shelly2733 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Oh my, now I need to look up Bumblefoot! Never heard of it!

8. Shelly2733

Shelly2733 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Nah, no bumblefoot.

9. Shelly2733

Shelly2733 New Egg

May 10, 2011
    She's eating some bread!!!!!!![​IMG]

10. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Thats fab! Bread doesn't have any nutritional value for her particulary but it's a great start- have tou got any tomatoes you could chop up? A great pick me up is oily fish or cat food apparently (though my sick chooks turned their beaks up at it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by