Banty hen got locked out

Outlaw

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
McLure, B.C., Canada
I can not believe I forgot to let her back in. I take her off her nest every morning (have a little cage for her as the other hens would not leave her alone and kept laying eggs in there) to go out for some exercise and scratch and then put her back in when she is done. Was multitasking and went to feed the horse. Grabbed lamb bottles and went back into the house and went to town. Never even gave it a second thought. So dumb!!!!!Went in last night to grab the eggs and there she was in one of the layer boxes and her nest sat all day without her. What are the chances of her 5 eggs still being good. It was day 15. I am soooo mad at myself. Had a hard time sleeping.....

how cold is in in your area? maybe they will still be alright - did you put her back in with them?

I hope someone with more knowledge can help you out

Julie

Yes I put her back in right away. Settled right back in. Probably about +5 and higher during the day (warmer in the coop) and not sure temp. when I put her back on. I have my fingers crossed..... Don't know wether to candle them or just leave them alone. I don't have a very good candler. I am going to get one of those surefire flashlights I think.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom