1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banty hen got locked out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Outlaw, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    McLure, B.C., Canada
    I can not believe I forgot to let her back in. I take her off her nest every morning (have a little cage for her as the other hens would not leave her alone and kept laying eggs in there) to go out for some exercise and scratch and then put her back in when she is done. Was multitasking and went to feed the horse. Grabbed lamb bottles and went back into the house and went to town. Never even gave it a second thought. So dumb!!!!!Went in last night to grab the eggs and there she was in one of the layer boxes and her nest sat all day without her. What are the chances of her 5 eggs still being good. It was day 15. I am soooo mad at myself. Had a hard time sleeping.....

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    how cold is in in your area? maybe they will still be alright - did you put her back in with them?

I hope someone with more knowledge can help you out

Julie

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I would think pretty good....what are your temps outside at?

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    McLure, B.C., Canada
    Yes I put her back in right away. Settled right back in. Probably about +5 and higher during the day (warmer in the coop) and not sure temp. when I put her back on. I have my fingers crossed..... Don't know wether to candle them or just leave them alone. I don't have a very good candler. I am going to get one of those surefire flashlights I think.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by