Banty hen just hatched chicks in freezing Jan. weather- please advise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It's cold here ... in the 30s, and this crazy banty had been sleeping in the barn, or so I thought. Yesterday she shows up with 5 tiny chicks! OMG [​IMG]

The chicks seem fine, but I can't imagine they are going to thrive in this cold weather (they all free-range). Unfortunately, I"m traveling a lot for work this month, or I'd bring them inside the house and put them in a brooder now. I've called some friends (with kids) if they want to raise them but none of them worked out. Does anyone know if they will be OK and thrive? I'm guessing they are 4-5 days old. Last night they were all snuggled in with the hen and I put out food and warm water for them this morning. They seem fine this morning too, drinking and eating and snuggling under the hen frequently. Has anyone had chicks thrive under cold weather? I figure she must have been able to keep the eggs warm enough to hatch, and the temps over the past 21 days have been sub-freezing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    How cute! It sounds like the mama is doing great. If it was me I would just leave them with her, but I am not very experienced as far as cold weather. I agree that if she kept the eggs warm enough to hatch! then she definitely has enough warmth to provide. Sounds like a warm cozy mama![​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I say let nature takes its course.. Momma knows what to do

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mamma will take care of them...

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, leave them alone and let Mama do her job!!! She will take good care of her babies [​IMG]

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, folks. They are adorable! One looks like a little penguin, with black on his body and a white face with "mask" markings. I'm incredulous, but they still seem fine this afternoon.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I had a banty hatch out 6 chicks at the end of this last November. They're all free range, so I just let them be. They would be out with mama when it was barely 20 degrees in the early mornings, scratching happily in the dirt. They would run back over to her and she'd warm them up, then right back out in the freezing cold to play! It was amazing!

8. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:That's good to hear... you're from Texas, right? What were the daytime temps?

Here the nights are 27-30 degrees and the days are between 35 and 40.

I had to disinfect the one little guys leg (Penguin) -- it was bleeding for some reason. Up close he was even cuter! And soooo strong. I put him in a paper bag for a minute to keep him from running away while I prepared the disinfectant, and he tried to fly out and almost did. Wow.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    It's amazing how well the mamas take care of their brood! I think she'll continue to do her best with them, and there's no need to worry. [​IMG]

10. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I found a family with a son who'd like to take care of the chicks until the weather is warmer. I hate to take them from Momma, but the forecast calls for rain and snow in the next few days, and I can't imagine how even their momma is going to be able to take care of them with snow on the ground. It's been in the upper 30s and sunny for the past few days they've been hatched. I'll just feel better if they're inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by