Banty Orpington/EE love child gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by geowoman, Feb 7, 2016.

1. geowoman

geowoman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Magnolia, TX
    This little one is about 6-8 weeks old. Easter Egger mama, banty Buff papa, Silkie surrogate. ;) Any thoughts on gender? I thought pullet but am noticing the red coming in on the wings... Thanks!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Pullet.

1 person likes this.
  3. geowoman

geowoman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Magnolia, TX
    Thanks! Out of curiousity, what makes you say pullet? I seem to be terrible at guessing.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'd say closer to 6 weeks of age, and all roo.

3 rows of peas in that large, fleshy and red comb, and yes, red coming into the wing bows.

The colors look similar to the common female pattern of an EE, which I think the other poster was referencing, however that is not a hard and fast rule as EE's are mixes. You have a hybrid of a hybrid, an EE and BO, so that removes it further to barnyard mix as more genetics are thrown in. (A "typical" EE is Ameraucana pure breed on one side with any other pure breed on the other, and those mixes will follow certain feather pattern rules, mostly. The predominate "female" color pattern is the gold partridge with penciling or barring on the body while most of the white/black patterns are male.)

But Barnyard mixes don't follow the "rules" as to feather patterning. I've had some barnyards get worrisome red in wing areas that blended in later, changing colors so many times that they left me guessing, so I find the comb the most reliable indicator...and that comb is all roo....the red bars a further indication as they are on the wing bows and not generalized.

Even taking into consideration that you've got broody hatched chick maturing in lengthening daylight, which makes them feather in and mature faster, (my January hatched broody chicks often mature into hens that lay by 16 weeks)...even so, that comb is all roo at 6 to 8 weeks.

So, I think you've got a roo. Sorry.

Keep us posted to its development and let us know what it eventually turns out to be.

LofMc

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ohhh, I hate disagreeing with Chris [​IMG], but I gotta go cockerel on this one, sorry.

That well defined triple row on the comb, the amount of redness at this young age spell male for me. Plus, Red Patches of Death on the wings is a boy thing......

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

8. PoultryQueen101