Banty roo w/ standard hens?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I have twelve standard hens and I want to get a roo so I am thinking about trading two of the standard hens that did not indear themselves to me for a banty blue frizzle cochin rooster. Will he be able to handle them? will he be able to mate with them? how loud are banties crows? What are your personal opinions on a banty cochin roo w/ the breeds listed in my sig ?

Thanks in advance,
Henry

MandyH

You'll shoot your eye out!
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Elvis' birthplace......
I think a banty roo is like a stray dog, they can mate with something no matter if they have to squat or jump to do it. I know our bantums are THE LOUDEST roos on the place. To ENSURE fertility, I would go with a standard roo to make sure he's gettin the job done.

RioLindoAz

Sleeping
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Yuma, Arizona
Banty roos Will be perfect with standard hens. The smaller the rooster, the less harm they will do to the hens. And less harm means less stress, and less stress means MORE eggs!!! Banty roos do crow a bit louder than standard roos. They also tend to crow many times at once. So if youlive in the city, you may have to work something out with the nieghbors.

Have fun!!!

C_Boy

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
I'd have to agree there...
We had a barred cochin bantam roo that was more than happy enough to service all of our standard hens. In fact, we had some very handsome barred cochin/white leghorn roos from him. And no damage to the girls, either. Not like what the light brahma's doing to them now.

Ours crowed just as much as any other, though not as loud now that we have a roo 5 times bigger.

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
It IS pretty funny, the little guy trying to be all suave and sophisticated... then can't seem to stay on.
But he always seemed to get the job done.

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
My little Cornelius is so quiet! He crows but it is no louder than an average dog bark and I live in the city. I have had him a year and no one has complained. He sleeps in his own house in the garage so he does not crow early in the morning. I say get a banty roo they are hysterical! He crows maybe 15 - 20 times a day.

Here is my little man:

And here he is with some of his big girls:

Last edited:

Cheekon

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2008
NY
Quote:I had a Chihuahua that tried to get after a golden retriever XD

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I'd have to agree there...
We had a barred cochin bantam roo that was more than happy enough to service all of our standard hens. In fact, we had some very handsome barred cochin/white leghorn roos from him. And no damage to the girls, either. Not like what the light brahma's doing to them now.

Ours crowed just as much as any other, though not as loud now that we have a roo 5 times bigger.

I was thinking about getting a bantam Cochin and i also live in a small development. Do you think the neighbors would hear him if he was about 20 feet from their house?​

Top Bottom