1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banty Roo with bloody feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsimplytx125, May 19, 2009.

1. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    My old Banty Roo is an old man with 17 2 1/2 mo young RI hens. He's been with them since they were let out of the brooder (1 month?). Anyway yesterday we found him with awful bloodied feet. Both of them! We took him, cleaned with mild soapy water, and betadine spray. He seems better but feet will need a cleaning once more today. Who did this? Should I put him back in the mainstream? I thought of letting him stay in a brooder in the main coup by himself since he's so small. He has always been capable of taking care of himself.
    What do I do?[​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Banty roos usually can take care of themselves, LOl. Problem is, when the girls pick on him, he`s too macho to even take notice, until they draw blood. Then they just keep it up until he`s really injured. I`ve got an 8 lb Brazilian cock with a big sore on one foot from being hen pecked. The only cure is to separate him and doctor him up & let him heal. Your brooder idea seems fine. He`ll really love getting back with the girls in a month or so......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by