banty roo with red spots on feet!! with pic!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyandkids, Aug 23, 2013.

1. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    I need advice and no better place to get it than here!!! I have a bantam rooster that I noticed yesterday he had what looks like blood blisters under the skin of his toes, at first I thought he was bleeding but after inspection its under the skin. it seemed like it was only were the foot feathers were growing, but today I noticed the spots have spread more on his legs[​IMG]. it has been very wet and raining a lot and he wont go in the coop or under the roof so his feet don't ever seem to dry. I will try to post pics in a little bit! None of the other chickens have it, bantams or clean legged! thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you possible take a picture to show the feet up close? I'm wondering if they are bug bites or some sort of bacterial or fungal problem. I haven't seen to many problems about feet other than bumblefoot, gout, or scally leg mites.

3. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    ok so heres a pic. sorry I was holding him and takin pic at same time, he don't like to be held! any idea of what it could be?

4. Doodle777

Doodle777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    I have the same problem with my Black Cochin Rooster. It has been going on for over a month and I can't figure out what's wrong. Someone suggested it was hormones. Not so sure about that.
    I have used a de-wormer / mite drop on his neck. Tried soaking them in warm Epsom salt foot / leg bath. Have put olive oil, coconut oil and nu-stock on them. Have also sprayed poultry protector on them. Nothing seems to work! So frustrating!!!
    I have also cut his foot feathers off as low as I could, so I could clean them better.
    If you find something that works, let me know please.
    I will keep doing research and trying new things and keep you updated.
    Good luck!

5. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    does it seem to bother your roo? My boy doesn't seem to be bothered at all by it! its disturbing to me cause it looks like its PAINFULL! good luck and I will def. let u know if I find a solution!

6. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    No it doesn't seem to bother him at all. It just looks like it would be uncomfortable for him but he doesn't peck at them or anything.
    This is what my Roosters feet / legs look like before I trimmed the feathers and after I had oiled them up. [​IMG]

7. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    I watched for a long time today, I noticed it gets real red then it gets lighter then darker again!! maybe it is a hormone thing[​IMG]. I have another banty roo same age and no red spots at all.

8. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    Maybe but it seems to last a long time! With my Rooster anyway.

9. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    I know its been a while, but I have noticed all my roosters that have hit 20 weeks now all have the red on legs and feet and they r clean legged, orpington, barred rock, deleware! it has to be normal hormonal thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by