Banty roo with standard hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KristaBeth, Jun 27, 2010.

1. KristaBeth

KristaBeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    How does this situation work out? I have one banty Cochin roo with a flock of 7 standard pullets and 1 banty pullet. They are all still young (5 weeks - 10 weeks) but wondering what will happen when they all grow up?

2. KristaBeth

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    [​IMG] Anyone?

3. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG] I have a friend who has a mixed flock of around 20, with one large-fowl rooster and one bantam rooster. The banty is top roo! [​IMG] Each boy cares for girls similar in size to them. In your case, I might assume that he would care for all the girls. Would your 1 bantam hen be over-bred? Dunno.

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I have a bantam rooster and standard and bantam hens he takes care of all 14 girls just fine. I like having a bantam rooster due to the fact that if he gets to big for his tail feathers it is much easier to pick him up and carry him around then a standard rooster.

5. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have a bantam rooster with my standard hens. It seems to work out just fine. In fact, there is also a polish roo and a couple of standard roos in there,too. Everyone seems to get along fine.

6. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I had a bantam brahma roo with my standard girls. It worked out great! He wasn't too rough on them and was easy to handle. The girls accepted him very well and he took great care of them! He just passed away a month ago [​IMG] and then i got a standard roo....not as good. He was way too rough on the ladies and attacked some people. I had to give him up and am hoping to get a bantam roo again! [​IMG]

7. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    I have a bantam Cochin roo in with 6 standard girls and one RIR banty. One of the standard Ameraucanas is his "favorite" for breeding rather than the bantam girl. He is simply the best rooster - takes extremely good care of them.

8. KristaBeth

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Good to hear all the positive reports! Guess we'll see in a few more months...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by