banty rooster and large breed hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kayri, Sep 25, 2007.

1. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Can you have a bantam rooster with standard or heavy breed hens like BOs? or will they just dis him and toss him around?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Certainly you can, if the roo can hold his own. I have them with my standard breed hens and have even gotten babies. [​IMG]

There was another post with this question: Click Here

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We have 1 little banty Roo in with 4 banty hens and 15 standard and he does alright.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Just get the poor guy a step ladder. [​IMG]

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have a nice little banty roo with my 7 BO girls!! At first they bullied him a little then he stepped up and showed them he was the man of the house..now they just adore him...they follow him every where and he takes good care of them!! He is the "big" man on campus here...lol..he sure does scare off those mocking birds!!!! I love him...he was a great addition to our little flock!! He doesn't try all that often to mate with the girls, but when he does it is pretty funny....he can't reach so usually he only gets the wing....LOL [​IMG]

6. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Thanks, I had a banty roo EE in with my 2 BOs, 1 barred rock, 1 australop and 1 black unknown standard breed, but when he started crowing (about a month ago), I gave him away to a friend with a farm, because the crowing scared me as I thought my neighbors were going to pitch a fit.

In addition they used to just pick him up and throw him around by his neck feathers. Now I really miss him and am thinking that I didn't give it enough time, because maybe he would be a good rooster to them, and maybe as a banty he wouldn't crow too loudly? I guess I don't mind the crowing (and my neighbors shouldn't complain) as long as he doesn't crow between 10 pm and 6:30 am? or when it is dark out? Are bantam's crows softer than standards? or is that just wishful thinking?

I don't think my friend will give him back anyway as he has grown quite fond of him. He is a nice little rooster and quite friendly. . .but I suppose I could get another,as there seems to be no lack of roosters around.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Bantam crows can be small but as far as I am concerned, my silkie roo's crows are shriller and more "annoying" than the crows of my large rooster who has a much deeper voice. It will depend on the roo but I believe someone here puts their roo inside at night and don't let him out till it's past sleeping time for their neighbors. You could try that. As for can a banty take care of your girls and be the top... you bet he will! All the girls obey the silkie boys!!! But the silkie boys must be too boyish because my standard roo looks at them like they are nothing and doesn't even bother them...*knocks on wood*

8. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    We tossed a few of our pet roos in with our laying hens. One banty tried mating right off the bat. She was compliant, but he just couldn't reach. He kept inching further and further back till he tumbled off her tail! I think he did manage to get a quicky in as he was falling though. [​IMG]

-Frank

9. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    My banty roo, capt'n jack as one heck of a time with our ladies. His favorites are the plymouth rocks. He courts them all day long. Sometimes they let him "try" but poor little fella doesn't have much luck. He is not much of a romantic...although I think he's learning.
    Yesterday he found some goodies under a bush and was calling the hens over with his little "I found food" talk - all of the chickens just ignored him!! I felt so bad for him. So I went over to see what he had found...that got some hens to pay attention finally.

10. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    my little banty roo is king around here - he does kinda get picked on by his girls but for the most part he holds his own gets plenty of food and treats - i am worried about him mating i really want some babies he has one banty girl but he rather chase after the big girls !! has anyone ever had a banty mate with a standard and get babies??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by