Banty rooster chick with head/back of neck scalped!Need Suggestions!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Attack Chicken, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok my friend called me at about 8:30 and told me she had a chicken emergency. I told he that I would go over and see what the problem was. She had just got some new chickens (started over again) which were 4 bantys and 2 young LF pullets. Well one of the pullets got ahold of the little banty chick (about as big as a hand but still peeping) and ripped his head/back of his neck wide open. Since it was late I put some neosporin on the wound put a little bit of gause on it and lighty wrapped his neck up. I gave him a quarter of a penicillan tablet and some vits in his water. I will be going over there again tomorrow to clean him up and re bandage him. Will I need to stitch him up? Suggestions please?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    The skin on a chick is so thin, I'd be afraid to stich it up and it ripping. I have a pigeon that was completely scalped and half of his face was almost gone. All I did was put sylvadine on it for two weeks and he healed completely. You have neosporin, make sure that it's the plain kind, not the one with the pain meds added. Anything that ends in "caine" can kill a chicken. Definitely keep giving him antibiotics to prevent infection, especially this close to the chick's brain. Keep the area wrapped and clean and change the bandages once in the morning and once at night.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If your "hospital crate" is outdoors (and mine usually is) you may have to invest in one of those medicines that keeps the flies away. That's what I had to get for my little guy, it is sold for dogs but it doesn't have any of the "cain" medicines so it worked fine on chickens too. He was making good recovery and then somehow got re-injured while he was in the hospital crate. I'm sure your little one will be ok if you can keep him from getting re-pecked.

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well he's not here at my house but at a friends. He's inside the house in a wire crate. He's not toally a chick but is all feathered out and the skin didn't look thin to me. And yes the neosporin is WITHOUT pain meds. I have my little first aid kit but wasn't prepared for a thing like this. I will be getting more chicken aid stuff Oct 16 but that is a ways off. When I was there he was eating and drinking just fine...Even went after her little daughters yogurt cup!

5. valsey

valsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Wound-kote works great for this. Can you post a picture? Hard to say without seeing a wound

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well my friend called this morning right as I was about to leave and head for her place. It turns out that she put the little rooster outside in a cage and somehow one of the pullets got to him and killed him.... I told her to keep him inside until he was fully healed but I guess she didn't do that. They also put down the pullet that killed the little guy..... I feel so bad..I was all ready to stitch the little guy up which I had never done before... It just feels like I could of did more [​IMG] RIP Lil guy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by