Banty Rooster legs shake

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cereal, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Cereal

Cereal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    My small banty rooster is small like most - not much meat on his bones to keep warm. Is this why his legs shake? Is there something else going on other than his lack of body fat to keep warm? He seems to stand on one leg more often then the other or both. Is this an issue too? Not sure how the little guy should act since I have always had large araucana roosters. Thx

2. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    Do they shake all the time, like when he's standing on them or trying to walk or just when you pick him up? Does he stumble around? Any other symptoms other than the shaky legs?

I'm asking because this is also my first bantam (and first chicken), so I didn't think there was anything wrong with him and now I'm wondering if I should be worried. I have a Sebright and his legs shake a little but only when I have to pick him up and carry him. He stands (on both feet or alternating feet), walks, does flying bicycle kicks at my rubber boots that he hates just fine.

3. Cereal

Cereal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    He trembles when I hold him some unless there is no other activity around. He is strong in his posture so perhaps it is nerves or his testosterone! He has always done this but just recently we removed his long spurs – that was a trip – so I thought his shakes meant we did some damage. But he is healed and all good. No other symptoms. It may be normal . . . It has been cold here and he eats very little so he is tiny. I try to give him extra but he gives it up to his ladies. I know he had a few bugs during the winter (I will provide more dusting spots for cold winter months in the future) so maybe it means he was anemic bit??

4. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    That might be it. Hopefully, someone who knows more about bantams will chime in with some advice! I hope he continues to do well! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by