Banty rooster not mating?

jshanep88

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2016
I have a Banty rooster that I keep in a pin with 2 Banty hens, 1 silkie hen, and and normal hen that's kind of small. He won't seem to mate them. Idk why! I have a normal rooster and two hens that free roam around my yard he does his job but I want my Banty to do his thing. I was wondering if I put him in his own pin and put a hen in there one at a time if he would do anything.

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
:welcome!

Have you checked the eggs and know they're not fertile or have you just not seen him mating with them? Some roosters are really good at not mating when a human is around, but that doesn't mean they're not doing it.

jshanep88

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2016
Oh ok I got you. My hens lay eggs but don't sit on them yet so idk how to check the fertility

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Crack one open. In infertile eggs you will see a small white spot on the yolk called a blastodisc. If they're fertile the blastodisc will have become a blastoderm and will look like a small white bullseye.

jshanep88

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2016
Oh ok that's interesting. Will have to look. I guess I ask because my big rooster he no problem doing his thing when anyone is around so I figured they were all the same way

Top Bottom