banty rooster PLEASE READ can't walk can eat do something?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbiechickenowner, May 11, 2011.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    My banty rooster Mille Fleure started walking funny to the side last night and then we found him today just laying to one side, but, he can keep his head up. I posted earlier because I thought he was dying right then, but, nobody replied. New information that has come about is that he CAN eat. He can keep his head up, but, can not move his lower body. There is no overt damage that I can see. One side is definately unresponsive if you hold him up and let his legs dangle down (supporting his midsection). His right side does move a little bit, but, the left side just kind of hangs there. He is eating and drinking on his own as I put the bowls right in front of him. He thrashes around to move................he has had crumble with yogurt and a carrot and sugar water. He has raging stinky diarrhea. Other banties with him show NO signs of anything at all and he couldn't have gotten in to anything as he is in a run when he goes outside his coop. Please read and see if you have seen this before. I couldn't find anything like it.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry your banty rooster is not doing well. Although I have never personally dealt with seeming paralysis with any of my chickens I have read some threads about it that suggested the problem could be Mareks disease. They discussed doing pretty much what you have already done and maybe also giving electrolytes. Poor little guy-I hope he gets better.

3. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    I was reading some information on botulism also, it could be an option as it can cause some paralysis. I am not sure. I hope someone can help you.

4. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    While I don't know what the issue is of your poor sweetie, I do know that Marek's is contagious, so I would quarantine until you find out for sure. And the more reading you do, the better. Perhaps use the search box above for "paralysis.". I hope he gets better soon! I understand, b/c I'm dealing with a 4 wk old with wry neck right now... :-(

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Sounds kind of like Marek's to me [​IMG] There is no cure for Marek's, only vaccinating when chickens are within 24 hours old. My suggestion is keep him away from the rest of your chickens until you are sure, because Marek's is very contagious. It is a paralysis that gets young birds under 5 months, it can settle in the legs, wings, any organ inside of the chickens body. One other place is the eye. If your roos eye is a weird bluish gray color with a white ring around the pupil it is Mareks, and if their legs and wings start acting weird then I would personally cull him...but that's a personal decision. I feel so sorry for you! I hope I helped.
    And- I may not have gotten my Mareks info right, so if anyone on here notices I said something incorrect go ahead and contradict [​IMG]

6. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    now he is already almost a year old...We got him in August and he was already 3-4 months old....would that still qualify? Isn't he too old? Why would it happen now? There are 30 other chickens, 3 other banties are with him and 26 are in the big coop....they are separated only by chicken wire when they are all outside. They sleep in the separate houses as described above. Would it make sense for him to get this this late? No new birds have come to the property since August... Can ducks catch this? What to do with all the birds around him? What if it isn't Mareks? I will check his eyes....

7. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Do you think that is out of the age range? This AM, he is still alive, but can't stand. He has drank. he has eaten. He just lays there to one side with his head head up though. Will he stay like this indefinately? if you have experience with it, that would be helpful.....how to cull without neck snapping or chopping? If I have to, I just couldn't do those things.....

8. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    and....I love all my animals and wouldn't wish harm on any of them, but, why is it that there are 30 chickens out there and out of the 3 that I am attached to, that is the one that comes up ill in a years time???????????? darn Murphy and his "law".....

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I am so sorry, and I really have no idea. I do wonder if he could be like this from a heavy worm load, and if you've ever wormed them -- but I'm not sure he would tolerate worming at this point. You might check with your vet to see if he will do a fecal. Of course a vet visit would be ideal, but I understand that is not an option for many.

I'll give you a couple of links to chicken diseases. Maybe you can figure out something.

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Good luck!

10. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Thank you for these wonderful links! I have saved them to my desktop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by