Banty Rooster will he breed with my Barred Rock hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicamama, Jul 24, 2010.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Stupid question, but clearly I'm clueless. I may adopt this little Banty rooster who's homeless. He comes with a couple Banty girlfriends (they were abandoned).
    Will he breed with my Barred Rock hens? THANKS!

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

He may not always be able to "finish the job" but he will certainly give it the old college try! My OEGB bantam black breasted red Mr. Big Stuff mates not only with his OEGB bantam ladies, but tries to mate (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) with the RIRs, the BOs, the BRs, the Golden Comets, and probably the EEs when they stop running from him as they scream their heads off.. [​IMG]

3. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    I won't.... I promise. [​IMG]

4. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    thanks! he's such a cute little guy and he's been in a small cage for months now. i want to give him a home, but i've never had a rooster.

5. crtrlovr

Quote:[​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

Quote:Once you've finished the quarantine time, introduce him and his ladies to your other flock gradually and they should all be fine. If he's had to live in a cage for months, I'm sure he'll be thrilled beyond belief to have a little freedom. Poor fella.

edited to add: I love all my girls, but I ADORE my roos! I am complete mystified when I hear people talking about having flocks w/o roosters (I'm not talking about the ones who live in places that have ordinances against having roosters in town or whatever, I'm referring to people who CAN have roosters but don't). Except for a period of time when I did have too many roosters (I sold several bantam cochin roosters (BEAUTIFUL little guys! broke my heart to sell them) because I simply had too many and all the hens were walking around anxious and upset. After I got the balance a little better, everyone, remaining roos and hens, are much happier and calmer. I love to watch my Alpha rooster Moose (a buff Orpington) take care of his girls. The little guys have some ladies they claim as their own, and it's a sheer joy to watch them with their ladies. (I sold the roos BEFORE I had gotten the diagnosis of Marek's in the ones I lost -- no sales or trades away from here at all now [​IMG] ).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by