Banty rooster with black scabs?? on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xitaa, Sep 29, 2007.

1. xitaa

xitaa Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    I took my rooster to the vet today(Saturday). He has "black comb disease" which the vet says is an infection in his vascular system. The rooster got a shot of antibiotics this AM, will get a shot tomorrow, and a shot Monday. I really did not expect him to be alive this morning, but he has perked up since his shot. The girls and I caught some grasshoppers and put them in his "condo" and he chased them and caught them. The vet suggested this as stimulation to get him eating. Thank goodness, life is never dull.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Great to hear he is doing well. Let us know how he is doing. Did you just notice his comb going black, did it change quickly?

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Good for you and the little guy too!!!

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm sorry... I'm thinking I probably missed a previous post (left to go sleep.. big mistake with BYC [​IMG] ). Could you tell me what the symptoms were for future reference?

Glad to hear your guy is doing better!

-Meghan

5. xitaa

xitaa Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Yes, it did happen pretty quickly. I had noticed one dark small scab, then in two days was when I picked him up as they were going to roost and it had taken over almost his entire comb. The comb was swollen and feverish. That was last Thursday night and we went to the vet Saturday AM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by