Banty ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crooked stripe, Sep 8, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have been told in the last few days that bantams don't have the same temperament as larger chickens. I have a BO broody that I placed bantam eggs under 2 weeks ago. She has been sitting well. What should I expect upon hatch? My Bo's and Black Australorps free range and never attempt to leave the yard. What about the bantams? John

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Temperament as in being more mean then the standard? Mine are all still very nice yet. I have them separate and I take more time with them one on one. I made some cages that were 3X4 and keep a few in each cage. I have a Quartet of D'uccle's and then I have 2 Bantam cochins. The D'uccle has been the nicest of all my roo's. (I have seven)
    I have been told that the bantams will follow the others and stick with them. Mine have not been around my standards yet so I can't say from experience.

3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I was told more flighty. People say it has something to do with the breeding. I looked into it some what before I bought the eggs but never came up with anything that pointed to it. I also ordered Bo's bantanties but when I got home from the hatchery all eggs where white. To expensive to drive back so I just placed them under her. This is the exciting part, what in the world did I get. John

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I also ordered a hatchery BO and got yellow legged don't know what LOL That happens with hatchery birds. They are breed to be better egg layers and not so much for the looks. But white eggs huh!? That is weird...usually orps lay a light brown.
    I think the bantams may be a little more flighty but I think the more time you spend with them the better they are. I love my little bantams. They put up with me a little more then the big girls. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    BY the way...let me know what those end up being, could be interesting.

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I will post pictures if they hatch. I installed rubber shelf liner over the wire today and the broody talked to me all the time. I even caught her moving the eggs around. First time for her so let us see how she does. Thanks for the replies. John

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    John, how is the boody doing? Did you candle the eggs at all? Wondering how everything is going. When are they due to hatch?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    BS...bantam cochins and silkies have WONDERFUL temperaments in my experience. It's all in the handling when they are young.

9. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I posted pics in 2 different sections here at BYC, sorry you missed them so here they are. Thank you for asking I appreciate it. Temps have dropped here some 20 degrees so I only see them a couple times a day. Momma is doing a good job with them. It amazes me since it is her first time and she is only 32 weeks old. John

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=88869

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by