Bantys and Seramas together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken_crazy93, Dec 17, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    About a month ago I got four Banty's, 1 four year old roo & 3 two year old hens. I have them in a 5ft wide X 9ft. long X 6ft. tall on one end & 5ft. on the other grow-out pen. Now don't get me wrong, I love all my chickens, but I really enjoy spendin time with the little ones. I put my cover-alls on & sit out in their pen with them everyday for at least an hour. My big stock chickens come & go as they want to & I check each one of them everyday when I feed & water but I love just messin with the bantys. When I first got them their toe-nails were so long they curled up & really affected the way they walked & one of the little hens kinda limps when she walks still yet. I cut all their nails & trimmed the roo's spurs when I first got them. They were kept in a horse stall their whole life & fed really good but didn't have any way of grindin off their nails or anything & weren't handled much at all. Each one of them gets lovin everyday now & have tamed down very nice. My question is: Will the bantys hurt Seramas ( I think their called ) if I were to get a trio & put in there with them? They are half the size of the bantys & I know they will have to go thru their peckin order but dang their small. My buddy let's all his chickens free range & live together & it seems the bantys stay to themselves & the big stock do the same but he doesn't have any of the serama's.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    no sermas sorry but I noticed your signature in NE tenn where at I am near cookeville. PM me if you dont want to. I will also be watching about the little ones.

3. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    What??? I don't understand what you're sayin.
    Quote:

4. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    there will be a pecking order but i have seramas with standard and bantam chickens and like i said they have a pecking order but there no different from other chickens. there just smaller and if you live in a climate were it gets way down below freezing they will require some heat in the winter.
    hope that answered your question. :)

5. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    It did, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by