Banty's and Standards together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chick4chix, Nov 17, 2009.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Can Silkies and EE's/Wyandottes/ Giants all be brooded together then housed together if they all start out as day olds at the same time? Just wondering because I would love some silkies (am getting the "must have more chickens" bug) but am afraid they might get picked on because of the size difference- even though they would start at the same age.
    thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I raised both together from newly hatched chicks and have never had a problem with them getting along.

3. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    Oh yeah. I have one silkie and five standards. Raised together. They all got along great until silkie went broody. Then the others gave her a hard time. Put her in a "broody buster" for 5 days, and now she's one of the girls again. Her name's Dolly. She's the sweetest thing. Sometimes I think about getting another silkie for her to "identify" with. We'll see in the spring!

4. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    my cochan mix is small and she is 2 1/2 months older then the rest and she is the boss and everyone gets along great except the girls dont like the rooster he is the youngest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by