Banty's Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 24, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I got some eggs from a breeder who had several hundred chickens. One of the eggs was a banty, who hatched, and as far as I can tell is a B.B. Red Old English Game. At three days old he/she already has feathers on her wing tips, and they're the brown color I've seen on pictures of B.B. Red Old English Game hens. From what I saw, the rooster has black tips and the hen has completely brown wings, so from what she has already, do you think she is a hen?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I forgot to mention that it screetches a lot, but is very sweet. Dosen't personality make a difference in sexing?

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    you'll have to wait a couple more weeks because the chick is still too young to tell IMO

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    "screeching" can mean lotsa things. Is this the only chick? Screeching could mean it's lonely, afraid, cold, too hot, hungry, or thirsty. It's like a baby crying...you gotta figure out what's wrong, and fix it [​IMG]

A happy baby makes quiet, chattering, peeping noises. An upset one screeches.

And I agree, the baby is too young to tell. Give it some time, and give us some more pictures when he/she is older!!!

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes it has 10 friends! I should've mentioned that it screetched only when we are holding it. Thats the problem!!

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok, i guess i didn't make this clear. I am wondering that, since the feathers that are growing in are brown, does that make it a pullet? Thats my overall Q.

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I forget whether it is teh males or females of teh duckwing varieties but anyway one has teh eye stripe the other doesn't.. For feather color you will have to wait to week 5 or 6.. Comb development of males will become apparent around week 3-4.. But yes it appears to be a BB Red.

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    nope, not necissarily. They can change colors as they age.

[​IMG]
    Waffle as a baby. Notice the cream and black mottled look.

[​IMG]

As an adult, her wing color came in WAY different than it looked when she was a chick. Heavily tipped in black. The red chick sitting there with her turned out to be colored very similarly to her...and a rooster. His tail turned green, as did the feathers on his neck.

9. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:No that doesnt make it a pullet. Chicks feathers will change up until their first molt!
    example - this is my serama cockerel..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how much his color has changed in just 9 weeks? the feathers may appear to come in brown but might change to black when the chick gets older. you need to be patient!

(edit to say that these photos are all of the same bird!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by