1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantys sitting and I am getting worried...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paganfish, Oct 8, 2007.

1. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    OK, So a couple of my bantys are sitting on a clutch of eggs. I switched their eggs for some of my other bigger girl's eggs. I started doing this on the 17th of last month. It is now the 7th (which is about 21 days from that date).

I went to check in on them and nothing but they're still sitting on them! I'm thinking of giving them until tomorrow (gave the others before 22 days and it worked fine).

How long should I wait after the 22nd day mark, before deciding there are no chicks coming? Should I move them at some point or will they know...when the eggs don't hatch? I know in the past (with other bantys) they moved as soon as all the eggs that would hatch--did. But, if none of them <gasp!> hatch?

I've heard of some chickens that stay on their eggs after the alloted time even though they might not hear activity within the egg. I've made sure they have water and food at their disposal. (They take turns to eat, drink water, poop and dust themselves. They are so clever!!!)

So, that's my questions...how many days should I wait after, say, the 22nd day?

HELP!

~:->

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Candle them! That should help you decide! It's also alot of fun. I did it with my six eggs I placed under my silkie, and it was real cool. There are lots of post about how-to, and also some great pics if you use the search tool at top of page! Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  3. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Thanks Omeletta-

I've never done the candling before. I swear this coming Spring either I make one OR I buy one! I hate all this guess work! LOL! It sure would simplify my life A LOT! I wonder if I can use a flashlight...I mean the eggs have been sat on for 22 days as of tomorrow, I should be able to see nothing but dark mass, right? Or is that a bad idea...so late into the ummm...pregnancy/hatching?

~:->

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can use a high powered flashlight. I do. I use a surefire 6p.

Candle and decide. My hen sat for 6 weeks to get her one chick....she lost her first set of eggs.

5. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Well, well, well...I went to check on the hens sitting, tonight and lo and behold ONE chick! It was all wet so I think it had JUST hatched. Yay! I didn't see any more and will wait until morning to find out if they will be any more. OH I HOPE! I think it's an Easter Egg/Amerauca chick. Though I don't know...I will have to see tomorrow from what egg it hatched out of. I looked under mommas but they wouldn't let me. Dang them!

SO KEWL!

~c:->

6. Bamaman

Bamaman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    cullman and auburn, al
    I switched their eggs for some of my other bigger girl's eggs. I started doing this on the 17th of last month. It is now the 7th (which is about 21 days from that date).

I would give them a little longer, Did you put the "bigger girl's eggs" under the banty hen at the same time or just a few at a time? If you put them under at different times you will have a staggered hatch.​

7. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hey Bamaman-

I put the eggs in, in a period of like 2 days...apart. I put 3 in one day and the following day like 4. The date I go by is from when I put the first set - of course. Which was the 17th of last month...

Anyway, ONE hatched so far...I will have to wait until tomorrow. I will have to be patient and sleep on it. (Yeah! That'll happen!)

The last times this happened the hens sat a day or so after the first chick hatched then got off and sat on the floor with the chick under them. Should I wait until they (the hens sitting) get up and give up on the eggs, before *I* give up on them and toss the ones that didn't hatch? I did that the last time...I am *SO* new at this! LOL!

~C:->

PS How do you post pictures on here? I have tried but, it (the site) asks for an html formatted picture! I have NO clue how to do that? Mine are gifs or mpgs! Ugh! Do you have any pointers?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To put a picture up you have to upload it to a server and then use that uploaded link.

For figuring out when they should all hatch, it will take 21 days for each egg so count from the last ones you set. It is possible the mom may get up with the chicks from the first day and leave just before the ones from the second day get to hatch. It is best to set them all at the same time because it is possible that you'll be throwing away viable chicks that were a day late and the mom already left. For hatching eggs I give up to 25 days from setting. Broodys only wait for a day or so after she gets her first chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by