Barb Question re Silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenGRAFFITI, Jun 25, 2010.

1. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    I had 3 silkies that were all truly show quality from very reputable breeders. One went broody and I decided to get eggs from one of the breeders I had bought one of the pullets from. 2 eggs hatched and I have a question about the feathering of one. The eggs were marked and I know who the parents are of the egg and they are both show quality in every aspect and from different bloodlines (These are several hundred dollar birds). At 6 weeks old now this one chick really does have barbed feathers over most of its body (not underneath). Other than that it has perfect coloring, beak color, toe spacing, top knot and beard/muffs. I love him/her no matter what the physical appearance but I am wondering how this happened and will it stay this way.
    [​IMG]
    I will try and get a picture in the morning as I have just put them up for the evening.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Just because you have show quality birds, does not mean that all of the offspring will be show quality. You might get about 5 Show quality chicks out of every 100 chicks that are hatched.

The barbed feathering, would indicate another breed/mix.

3. Hi! Are you saying they aren't 'silkie feathered'?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. chickenGRAFFITI

Dec 18, 2009
    Yes,
    It appears that this one is not silkie feathered. I understand that you are not necessarily going to get SQ but this one really does not have fully silkie feathers.
    Quote:

5. Hi! That's interesting. Are you certain someone didn't 'jump the fence'? I've never (not to say it can't happen) seen a regular feathered chick come from two silkie feathered parents.
    edited to add: If you've had them less than a month (you didn't mention, just reaching), maybe they were in a mixed pen and were mated by something 'other than' a Silkie before you got them.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Remember that the wings will have hard feathers that are shredded on the edges and they are usually the first feathers to come in.

Another thing to remember...it doesn't matter how much a bird costs or even if they've won nationals...they will sometimes throw a very average chick. But if it's pure silkie it should look like one!!

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Any pictures? Maybe we could get a better idea exactly what your talking about and take a looksy ourself? [​IMG]

8. chickenGRAFFITI

Dec 18, 2009
    Quote:I will try and get some up tomorrow morning as they are in bed right now.

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Call the breeder. They will want to know. I have bred white silkies and showgirls for several years. I knew what the chicks would look like before they hatched. Much to my shock, the first hatch of this year the chicks were cuckoo, and barbed. [​IMG]
    My darling little silkie hens were leaving their pen just long enough for my cuckoo maran roo to bred them. [​IMG] Then, right back into the pen they went.
    I'm so glad that I caught this before selling any hatching eggs this year. But if I had, I would have wanted to know about it right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by