Barb wire and bobcats...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JanetS, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Thinking of putting barb wire on top of fence around our property. Wondered if anyone has tried this to discourage bobcats? Lost a chicken last week while they were free ranging in back yard.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I suspect that a good strong electric fence wire will work better. Get the kind made for cattle that gives a really good jolt, and use more than 1 wire.

If you don't have power to the area, the solar powered fence chargers work great. Last time I checked, Jeffers Livestock Catalog (on line) still sold the solar powered fence charger.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    An electric fence of the commercial type will work, most of the time. Do remember though that a bobcat can jump a rail fence 8 feet high.

With auction prices of $75 to well over $1,000 per pelt what works best is a fur trapper looking for a bobcat hide to stetch. Second best is a large dog who you can trust with your fowl but who hates bobcats. Third is to turn the area around your chickens into a putting green. Bobcats are shy as well as sly and most will not hang back and watch for an opening before launching an attack if they don't have good cover (consealment) from which to stalk your chickens. Keep the tall grass and brush cut back and force the bobcat to risk its neck in the open for a chicken dinner. He may deside to go elsewhere to dine. At any rate, do be careful, bobcats are no laughing matter.

Warning: graphic images of bobcat damage to a human's face.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...achusetts-family-was-rabid-officials-say?lite

4. JanetS

Jun 22, 2012
    We are expanding the run for our chickens because we don't think they are safe to free range anymore. We know the bobcat will be back. We will probably still look into the electric fence since our teenage daughter is now afraid to go into the backyard. She was out with the chickens when the bobcat jumped over the wood fence and attacked our chickens. Sad about losing our favorite hen but glad our daughter is fine.

Thank you for your replies.

5. JanetS

Jun 22, 2012
    The bobcat was back. Not just 1 but 2 of them today. Our chickens were safe in their run. I know they will be back again.

6. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    Are you somewhere where you can shoot these bobcats?

7. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    simple to take care of any predator is to ??????? agricultural lime! sprinkle it around property border where your animals cant go. when the predator walks threw it burns their feet. sprinkle on trees ground in holes old farmers trick simple easy dont get it on you wear gloves n old clothes throw them away.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless it is rabid, the bobat is very unlikely to attack a human. It sometimes happens but very rarely. Attacks by coyotes on humans are more common. The simplest most effective solution would be to shoot or trap the bobcats - yes, you are right, they will be back now that they know where your hens are.

9. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    have never had any animal ever come back. ok here try this take a dry sponge soak it in chicken soup let dry tare it up to pieces throw where tracks are with in 3 days problem gone

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The sponge idea is supposedly an urban rumor? I can't say for sure, but do know that in areas epidemic for rabies they drop sponges laced with rabies vaccine in an attempt to immunize possible host animals - fox, raccoon, coyote, bobat, skunks, feral cat------------------------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by