1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barbado Sheep. Pic heavy.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fowltemptress, Feb 16, 2009.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I'm wondering how many people keep barbado sheep. They don't seem to be a very popular variety around here, but I love them and I think their meat tastes much better than other varieties. I've known many people to mistake it for goat, though I'm not sure if that might not have something to do with how we prepare it. They certainly are photogenic, IMO. [​IMG]

The bottle baby . . . she had to be taken to school to get her feedings in. You would not believe how many people, both adults and teenagers, thought she was some breed of dog. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some other lambs . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shh, they're hiding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still preggers.
    [​IMG]

Part of the flock . . . one of these things is not like the others. [​IMG] The Boer goat was following us, begging for peanuts and refusing to get out of the way for pictures. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the flock's guardian. The coyotes have been coming right up to the house, so she's keeping busy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Those are beautiful sheep and a stunning dog! I wish my GP mix would stay that clean! [​IMG] Your pasture looks pretty good also!

Not many hair breeds around here either, as these folks are dyed in the wool (pun intended) Hampshires and Suffolk people. I wouldn't mind having a Barbado, but I am going to get two St. Croix/Katahdin cross ewe lambs next month. No source for Barbs around here at all!

3. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks, and I think you can chalk Angel's (the dog) cleanliness up to the drought . . . a bit of moisture and she's just as dirty as the rest of them.

Every time I open a sheep magazine or book it's all about the wool breeds, which makes me think it's not just here that there's very few hair sheep herds. It would be nice to be able to go into the library and actually find a book on sheep that's more relevant to our breed.

Good luck with your new lambs when you get them! [​IMG]

4. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I had some barbados once but had to get rid of them. I liked them alot and it was a plus because they didnt need shearing. I would like to get some more hair breeds. Yours are beautiful by the way

5. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    WOW I have never seen those before! They sure looked like goats to me.
    Thanks for sharing your pics. I learned something new today.

6. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:That's neat, I'm glad you learned something. And it's funny you mention the similarity to goats, because that's actually one reason we chose this breed. We've always loved the look of goats.
    The biggest tip off between a goat herd and a flock of sheep is the tails . . . goats will carry their tails up. Sheep tails hang down. Just one of those silly little facts that are fun to know. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    BEAUTIFUL BARBADO SHEEP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love them. I'm from south louisiana and I have 6 of them. I love that they have hair and not wool. They are the most friendliest animals that you would want to have. There are more and more people in south louisiana who are beginning to get barbado. Barbado are the "in" thing. People love to drive by and watch them. They love to play and jump up in the air and just have a good time. Barbado are the only sheep that I will EVER own. I will have to get out my camera and take some pics and post. It's so nice to know that there are others who have barbado. Thanks for posting your pics. Let's keep in touch ans share Barbado stories and information.

8. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Yay! I love hearing that barbado are an "in" thing in part of Louisiana. Hopefully that will spread to other parts of America. I'd love to see pictures of your barbado, and I totally agree that they're the best type of sheep to own, and I certainly wouldn't trade them for any other breed.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:I should have a bunch of Dorpers weaned around June, and I'm only about 2 hours/ 80 miles from you.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    One of our lambs was taken by a bobcat the other night, navigating hotwire and avoiding five very large dogs . . . the barking and growling woke the house up. It must have been a very desperate cat. I know it was attracted by the sound of the lambs that are being weaned, who are firmly locked up and closer to the house. The paw prints are clearly visible, and Angel is extremely agitated.

If only you could explain to a lamb why it's not a good idea to cry . . . it seems like baby animals were designed for the express purpose of letting predators know the food's ready, kinda like the biological equivalent of a dinner bell. Silly things.

More hotwire is being added, so I just know I'll be falling into it. No one has ever been able to have hotwire without me getting caught in it at some point, and the dang stuff hurts like the dickens. Hopefully the predators will find that out for themselves. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by