Barbie isn't laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roostersinmyroses, Dec 29, 2007.

1. roostersinmyroses

roostersinmyroses New Egg

Dec 29, 2007
    Hi - just joined up and look forward to learning about my 1 rooster and 1 hen, Dewey and Barbie.

My problem: Barbie was given to us about 2 months ago. She had been laying for her previous owner. We were told she 'had just molted and should begin laying again soon'. She has never laid an egg for us. She seems healthy but does seem to drink a lot more water than Dewey and her waste is always liquid, never solid like Dewey's.

They are free-range, have good appetites, and look healthy. She roosts in one of two places at night and stays in the same area during the day and we have searched high and low. We are 100% certain there are no eggs hidden anywhere.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It could simply be the time of year - they lay less or not at all in winter as this is the time their bodies need to rest. You will probably start seeing eggs in spring.

She may also still be adjusting to her new home. Did she leave "friends" behind or was Dewey her main or only companion?

What is her/their diet? Does she have oyster shell available free choice 24/7?

As for the liquid poop, that's not very good. Try giving her some active culture plain yogurt and failing that (she may or may not like it), some probiotics in her food (comes in capsules that you can open and sprinkle in). Have the birds ever been wormed? A worming with "pour-on" Eprinex Ivomec may be in order.

JJ

3. roostersinmyroses

roostersinmyroses New Egg

Dec 29, 2007
    Thanks, JJ. I'll try what you suggested.

We've had Dewey since July or August (he was one of three roosters named Hewey, Dewey, and Louie - we lost Hewey and Louie). He got lonely and the same people who gave us the roosters donated Barbie to keep him company. They raise a variety of chickens and take very good care of them so I feel she came from a good home. LOL! They were well cared for and wormed, etc.

They are fed a combination of chicken feed with added calcium and chicken scratch along with some bread and vegetable scraps. They forage a lot but bugs are slim now that the temps are cooler. I'll try the yogurt - seems it cures everything! Our dobi/lab mix used to have chronic urinary tract infections and, after several rounds of antibiotics, it was simple yogurt that cured her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by