1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bard rock hen weight loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldutch123, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I have notice my 2 year old bard rock hen has gotten thinner. I have had them for about 6 months now and she was a full bird all this time. I noticed in the last 2 weeks she looks thinner? She still eats snacks and scratch so I assume she is still eating. Is this something that happens in the winter? Should I worm them? She is with 11 other chickens and they seem healthy. Is there anything I should do?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My Barred Rock looked noticeably thinner when she was molting. Could yours be molting? Seeing a lot of feathers on the ground?

Is her crop full at night?

3. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Well I did notice a bare spot on her chest. She doesn't usually get picked on cause she is a meant lol. I think I have noticed her feathers around. So really by her looking thinner could it just be she is losing feathers not necessarily weight? I'm new to raising chickens and I get a little worried at times.

4. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Also what do you mean is her crop full?

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When a chicken eats, the food travels first to the crop. The crop is located on the right side of the chicken's breast area. It should be visibly larger at night. If you touch the left side of the breast and then the right, you will notice the difference.
    The food then passes from the crop to the gizzard. When chickens eat grit and gravel, it is stored in the gizzard to grind up the food (like our teeth do). Thus, in the morning, the crop should look and feel empty because the food has passed through to the gizzard and been digested.
    Make sense?
    If she had a full crop at night, you would know that she is getting plenty to eat.

All this doesn't necessarily rule out worms. I would keep an eye on her and pick her up frequently to check any changes in weight.

6. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I will check this out. Also are chickens pretty hardy? Am I just worrying myself when it's not needed? I keep a clean coop, they always have fresh food and water, and they get plenty of room to run. I often worry I will overlook something and I would be so upset if one of them died [​IMG]

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    My about 2 y.o. barred rock is currently molting....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by