Bare back cochin chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. cochinz

cochinz New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    My cochin babies are fully feathered except their back and they havent started laying. Im confused! Is it normal or can it be some kind of elusive bare back cochin disease? These are my first cochin chicks and I plan on showing them biut how can I when their backs arent fully feathered??

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    How old are they? Are you sure they're not picking the feathers off of each other? That's usually how they get the bare backs.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How old are they? You said babies and I thought you meant chicks at first. Then you said they weren't laying yet, but of course, chicks wouldn't be laying so I'm a bit confused. Bare backs might mean rooster attentions are too rough or they are picking each other. If they aren't laying, they are too young to molt that extensively.

4. cochinz

cochinz New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    sorry they are one and a half months old and there has been no cochin feathers in their cage

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Most chickens wont start laying till they are around 4 months old. Some take even longer then that. Could you show us some photos?

6. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

My silver laced cochins were REALLY SLOW to grow in their body feathers. In fact, they looked ridiculous for SO LONG because they had their HUGE big leg and feet feathers long before they had body feathers. ...I should also add that eventually they did grow in their feathers. [​IMG]

Mine were from Ideal, and were chicks last summer around the end of May or early June.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Some Cochins are slower to feather on the back, this usually means roosters. At 1 1/2 months you should be able to start to tell if they are boys or girls though. I think the Barring gene does slow down the feathering. My Barreds seem to be slower than other colors.

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:Yes, they look hilarious [​IMG] I have 1 the same age and it looks like a huge baby chick.

How's this...

[​IMG]

Its normal [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by