bare back & wing tops. Blue coat??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JudyMcKinn, Aug 31, 2008.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have some RIR hens who have bare backs and also the tops of their wings, from the rooster being too energetic. I am taking him out, so they hopefully will grow some feathers by cold weather. A couple of the hens backs are completely bare. I am wondering, tho I have never seen it happen, if the other hens may pluck pinfeathers the minute they appear? Seems they should be growing back a bit, even with the rooster's attentions.
    I wonder if there isn't something I could do to keep the hens from doing this, IF they are. Wonder if spraying smething like Blue Coat, I think it's called, on the bare skin, would sort of disguize the feathers coming in, so they wouldn't get picked the minute a pinfeather appears. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

All I can do is offer some general suggestions. Too much attention from the rooster(s) can be lessened by having more hens, having fewer roosters, having more space.

I think Blue Kote can cause problems in the eggs. I seem to remember this in another thread. It's use is reccommended to help stop pecking and promote wound healing.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    You mean you think one needs to hold the eggs with Blue Kote? ( I DIDN'T know the difference between Coat and Kote.) LOL
    Wonder what I could use, if the hens are keeping the new pin feathers nibbled off?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I have the same problem with 2 Delawares. Several of my other heans are bald headed, poor girls! I no longer have a rooster, and it's been about 3 weeks, and not much feather growth noted. I had 12 hens and 1 RIR rooster- I thought that was a good ratio, but he was a horny nut job terrorist!!

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Seperating the roo out should do the trick, it will take a little time for the feathers to start to grow back.

If you think the hens are plucking the pin feathers you could put chicken saddles on them.

6. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    That's what I have. RIR's. 8 hens and 1 rooster, but like yours, he is a horny nut job. [​IMG]
    Nice enough boy, never has threatened me, but seems to keep the girls busy. Sure hope they grow some feathers before winter. He is in a chicken tractor by himself now. Feel sort of bad for him--as he has never spent a night alone. He will wonder what happened.

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

The brand is Blu-Kote. Tractor Supply sells it. It is a horse treatment but quite a few folks here recommend it for use on chickens too.

I haven't found the thread but I think someone said after they treated a hen with the Blu-Kote the eggs were stained. I don't know what part of the bird was treated or why the eggs were stained. Maybe someone can chime in. Maybe you can find it in a search.

The thing about using the search engine in BYC is that you might have to use different spelling variations to find what you are looking for.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've dosed bare backs with blue kote on laying birds without a problem with eggs... just ate them and they didn't have color or anything. If you see pecking, might have to get a "hot pick" so they don't pick out pin feathers.

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If the girls have enough room and activities (ahh, depends on breed, too) they will probably not need any anti-pick. I would generally proceed in order of escalation measures needed:

1) Blue-Kote to cover bare skin and new feathers (I have never had problems with eggs here; it mainly contains Gentian Violet)
    2) Some other sort of nastier-tasting Hot-Pick
    3) Pine tar (I have never heard of picking problems going beyond the use of this.)

Good luck! Please let us know how your girls do once they have a rest from their overly-amorous fellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by