Bare Bellied Hens

DEBRA56

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Puyallup, WA
Most of my "5" hens have bare bellies and have lost many of their feathers there. Is it some sort of mosting process? It's wimter here in Washington State in the Pacific NW. They are spoiled with all the comforts and have lighting from 5 pm till 8 pm in their coop. That helps them feed just before roosting and helps them see where to jump up to sleep. During the day they get to free roam in the garden and rototill to get bugs and protein. Any ideas about their bare bellies? Otherwise, they act fine and we are getting eggs anywhere from 1 to 4 every day. I think some skip a day here and there. Thanks for any ideas.

could be hens peck each other or moulting. but as long they are healthy they should be fine. Give them something like hay or cabbage to keep them busy. they may be bored!

Many times if you have a hen that is going broody they will pluck their own belly feathers. It helps a sitting hen keep the eggs warm because the eggs are right against their warm skin.

They have hay/straw...I will put out a little more. A whole cabbage or cut it in half? Thank you for your input
thumbsup.gif

They have hay/straw...I will put out a little more. A whole cabbage or cut it in half? Thank you for your input
thumbsup.gif
People say that a whole cabbage will keep chickens occupied for hours- it lasts mine half and hour.
lol.png
They love it! They won't have any trouble pecking a whole cabbage to shreds.

Last edited:
I think the thing that takes my chickens longest to do is throw a handful of scratch into the bedding- I cover some of it so they have to scratch and find every last bit. Not THAT keeps them occupied for hours. :p

Back
Top Bottom