Bare belly 1 week old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DucheneEGG, Aug 11, 2013.

1. DucheneEGG

DucheneEGG Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Port Orchard, WA
    My chicks are one week old now and some of them are pecking there own feathers out on there belly leaving there belly bare. I have watched them do it to them selfs. They r in a 50 gallon tote for there brooder. So they have a lot of room. I change out the pine shavings out every 3 to 4 days. Why are they pecking there bellies? What can I do to stop them? Is it normal for them to do this? Or am I just freaking out because I care to much about them? Lol this is my first time raising chicks of any animal besides a dog.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would run to the feed store and get some Rooster Booster pick no more lotion (this will be messy) and put some on their bellies- it tastes bad to them.

If you want it to work the next day you have to reapply it. This should break them of this- you don't want it to become a habit.

Also you can switch to a red light if you haven't already...supposed to reduce picking.

3. DucheneEGG

Aug 5, 2013
    Port Orchard, WA
    Thank you for getting back to me, I got the lotion the day I posted for help and I have had only a red light since I started brooding them, Should I go to a Yellow Light?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never heard of anyone using a yellow light before so I would not use it.

5. DucheneEGG

Aug 5, 2013
    Port Orchard, WA
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by