1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bare Belly on Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wild Chicken, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    We have our first ever broody hen....YAY....but she has no feathers on her belly. Is this normal? I was a bit concerned for her since it is freezing cold here......

Thanks as always [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Mine did the same thing. I believe it's pretty normal.

3. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Yup, totally normal. They pull out the feathers on the front of their chest so their skin can have direct contact with the eggs -- keeping them nice and toasty! What a good mama already!

4. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Ours plucked her chest too. It's normal. Happy brooding!!!!! [​IMG]
    Sigh, I wish one of my ladies would go broody so I have an excuse to have fuzz butts

5. Chicken Downunder

Chicken Downunder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    Both of my broody girls have bare chests too. It freaked me out when I first saw them and all the feathers laying around the nest but I quickly learnt that it was normal.

6. Wild Chicken

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    Phew.....thanks!! Makes me feel better!! She has been broody for about 2 weeks now. I make sure she gets out of her nest everyday to eat and drink (she complains the whole time) and she's right back up in the box. Tomorrow I am purchasing 2 large cages and I am planning on putting her in one of them....I've been saving eggs the last couple of days......and letting her hatch some eggs. It's really cold here in Michigan so I'm planning on keeping a heat light on her when she hatches the chicks.

Any advice in all of this would be greatly appreciated [​IMG] I have been wanting a broody for sooooooo long, just not when it's sooooo cold [​IMG]

And thanks again [​IMG]

7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I wouldn't force her off the nest she might abandon it. She will get off when she needs to. I think the light is probably a good idea to help keep it warm especially for the chicks.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    loose the feathers and you add humidity.

Just the right amount.

Maybe they sweat more when they are on "Lockdown"?!

9. Wild Chicken

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    She is really sweet.....I have her sitting on 8 eggs and she never once has pecked at me when I have reached my hand in the cage to change her water, etc. She is very intent on hatching these eggs....I don't know who is more excited, her or me [​IMG]

2 1/2 more weeks and we will see how she does!!!

Thanks for the advice as always!!

10. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I know its and OLD thread.... But answered my question perfectly.

Just wanted to say thanks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by